Saturday, June 5, 2010

It was handy

There are holes in these walls
and someone is pounding away
making new ones.

A little girl with a bell hammer
smack smack smack

She only bangs on the piano keys
doesn't want to say the word please.
why should she ask nicely
for something she will never receive?


There's a hole in this wall

No one will cover with plaster
someone made a mistake here
and now it's a disaster
sweeping up the pieces
in military fashion

hide them in a heap of lies.
hide them in a heap of goodbyes.
pull the wool over my eyes.


I once grabbed the first sharp edge that was handy
and cut myself out of every family picture
and then carved a large chip on my shoulder.
goodbye, goodbye, goodbye,
smack, smack, smack,
pound, pound, pound.

Goodbye.

3 comments:

  1. "I once grabbed the first sharp edge that was handy and cut myself out of every family picture"

    This made me quiver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh yes, delightfully eerie this is. <3

    ReplyDelete

Reach for the clouds. . .

Tickle your toes. . .

Poets United Contributor