Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 28

in August

for John Keats

I didn't die unrequited.
I took a wife in August.
My wife was wearing silky white shoulders
holding out her boney arms held
my name close to her spine.
I knew that there was a warmth
wherein that carved out broken shell
I was melting in the silver sun.

In July she let me sing
a song to every single
gorgeous figure in granite
every star that was bestowed to us
in the Medi-terrain, fall to their
knees pointing their palms to
the North where the medieval
tricksters still dance on top of
Stonehenge and tell stories
And every turning ball is still
just floating around the sun.


She spake, the beauteous, she
my wife in August. Forgiving,
and for only six months was
she mine, and now she mourns.
My lovely white goddess, she
Gushing a luscious sob.
Painful veil of oblivion seals her eyes
She strives to search wherefore I am so sad,
melancholy numbs her limbs;
she sits upon the grass, moaning.
She burns up in the sun.

She, who once had wings.

Oh, Hyperion, you unfinished gem,
She still sobs
You went on for ages, and now
nothing is left.

4 comments:

  1. Intense imagery! Did I see some sadness too?
    Very deeply felt for someone and hence the strong expression!

    Hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keats had so much sadness in his life, and so did his young wife after his passing. I'm glad that was captured so well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome, superb work...

    your words have wings, keep them flying.
    smiles.

    A++

    ReplyDelete

Reach for the clouds. . .

Tickle your toes. . .

Poets United Contributor